Environment protection has been and continues to be a major target for STEAUA ROMANA Refinery. The guidelines for the effective achievement of this target are the following:
Permanent limitation of the environmental impact of the refinery daily operations
- In this respect, the refinery takes actions to:
- monitor all environmental factors in accordance with the requirements set by the Integrated Environment Authorisation;
- manage installations and processes for a minimal impact over the environment, below legal limits;
- cease gradually and replace the processes that cannot further comply with the environmental regulations;
- modernize the installations and technological processes in order to be compliant with the European environmental regulations.
- The investment program supporting the above mentioned actions has consisted in the following:
- modernization of the oil-loading platforms;
- revamping of the furnace and column of the atmospheric distillation installation;
- purchasing and mounting of a new, modern boiler for process steam.
An investment for the extension and revamping of the waste water cleaning plant using up-to-date equipment is currently underway and will lead to the overflow of the cleaned waters to the issue and to much better parameters than those stipulated by the Romanian and European regulations.
Limitation of the environment contamination generated by the historical pollution.
- • During more than 100 years of operation, due to the technologies used in that time, an historical pollution has unfortunately resulted and is located in three areas owned by the refinery:
- acid tar sumps named “Turnatorie”, with an effective area of 3.3 ha and a volume of 70,000 m3;
- acid tars sumps named “Bucea” with an effective area of 6 ha and a volume of 80,000 m3;
- refinery sludge sump named “Lacul Pestelui”, used until present as third stage for waste water cleaning, with an effective area of 8 ha and a volume of sludge of 70,000 m3.
For the recovery of the natural environment, all these sumps should be empted and cleaned until 31.12.2015, according to the approved transition period.
Along the years, STEAUA ROMANA Refinery has performed many searches and actions in order to identify the proper technologies able to empty and clean the acid tar storages and allow for cost recovery.
At present, these actions continue. A research financed by structural funds from the Ministry of Economy and Finance and a new experiment that also involves substantial own funds are underway.